Modular Protective System for Overhead Cover (MPS-OHC)
Uniquely portable MPS provides overhead blast and fragmentation protection
Innovators at ERDC have developed the MPS-OHC, a transportable system providing 360° protection from blast, ballistic, and natural penetration forces. This modular system can be configured to fit over a variety of structures, safeguarding personnel and valuable assets. The U.S. Army successfully deployed this system during combat operations in Afghanistan.
Featuring a double-roof protection system, the MPS-OHC is easy to transport, assemble, disassemble, and re-deploy. The roof panels are composed of an inexpensive concrete core material combined with a tough elastic outer layer. This panel eliminates penetration of fragments and debris from natural disasters, explosions, and even munitions. Furthermore, MPS-OHC is compatible with other MPS components and can be assembled in a variety of configurations for large-area applications. Configurations up to 30 ft wide require no equipment or special tools and a standard forklift can handle up to 52.5 ft spans. No other system in operation today combines this level of protection with such reduced logistical demands.
- Durable: Galvanized metal components can withstand harsh environments and frequent assembly/disassembly
- Robust: Excellent energy-absorbing capacity against rockets, mortars, blasts, and natural penetration forces
- Lightweight: System components are man-portable and require no special tools or heavy equipment to assemble (for up to 30 ft spans)
- Lower cost: Less expensive than concrete structures, earthen embankments, or high-performance ceramic barriers
- Rapid deployment: Modular components are easy to construct, disassemble, and reuse
- Military (e.g., bases, guard posts, bunkers, munitions protection)
- Law enforcement
- Structures in hurricane- or tornado-prone regions
- Oil & gas
- Asset Protection (e.g., critical infrastructure, residential housing)
- Security functions (e.g., bank vaults, armor protective enclosures)