Modular Assembly Shelter (MASh) Kit
Enables rapid on-site construction of expeditionary shelters from lightweight materials
The Modular Assembly Shelter (MASh) Kit is designed to use lightweight materials for rapidly deployed expeditionary shelters. Capitalizing on the advantages of additive manufacturing, the MASh uses pre-engineered construction techniques to produce a kit-of-parts for rapid assembly of a rigid shelter that is modular, portable, durable, and reusable. These fully reusable kits do not require tools for assembly and feature interchangeable and plug-and-play parts that enable repeated assembly and disassembly.
Each MASh Kit contains standardized building components that enable on-site tool-free assembly of discrete 6’ to 8’ long by 6’ to 8’ wide by 8’ high shelters that need less time and fewer resources to construct than tents or stick structures do. Multiple MASh Kits can be joined to create structures capable of meeting a range of functional, footprint, environmental, and user requirements for rapidly constructed shelters anywhere, even harsh or remote locations.
This technology is in early-stage development. ERDC seeks partners to develop this technology further.
- Modular: Enables rapid assembly, tear-down, and joining of multiple kits
- Low-cost: Permits on-site 3D-printing of construction components, no tools required
- Flexible: Enables multiple configurations for changing situations, including ballistic protection
- Durable: Provides better protection than tents with the rigidity of stick-built structures
- Portable: Can be reused and transported easily
- Hospitals (e.g., alternative care facilities, quarantine facilities)
- Military (e.g., barracks and B-Huts, temporary housing, expeditionary shelters, munitions storage)
- Storage (e.g., consumer storage, sheds)
- Filming (e.g., set design)
- State and local governments
- Shelters (e.g., dignified affordable housing, FEMA disaster relief, refugee shelters)