Expedient Retrofit for Existing Buildings (EREB)
Modular Protective Systems (MPS) portable armored barrier for buildings
Engineers at ERDC’s Geotechnical & Structures Laboratory have pioneered the MPS EREB to protect buildings from blast and fragmentation damage, as well as damage from heavy winds. Installed within existing building walls, this modular, multi-layered armored panel system provides superior protection against any naturally occurring or man-made high-speed projectiles.
Existing protective barriers are often large, bulky concrete structures or earthen embankments that require heavy equipment. In contrast, EREB is lightweight (no component weighs more than 60 pounds), and requires no specialized training, tools, or anchoring to install. As a result, this retrofit is very quick and easy to assemble and disassemble for reuse. EREB is scalable and recoverable, and it can also be tailored to meet specified threats. In short, EREB offers a groundbreaking and effective means of protecting buildings and the valuable assets within.
- Rapid deployment: Easy to set up in less than 30 minutes with no anchoring, special tools or equipment required
- Lightweight: All components are less than 60 pounds
- Bulletproof: Armored panels provide ballistic and blast protection
- Portable: Lightweight design enables ease of transport
- Modular: Customizable to nearly any room width and height
- Military (e.g., bases, Homeland Security)
- Urban buildings (e.g., capital buildings, community buildings, embassies)
- Asset protection (e.g., critical infrastructure)
- Structures in hurricane- or tornado-prone regions