Containerized Medical Solutions (CMS)
Locally sourced, rapidly constructed alternative care facilities for hospital overflow
ERDC’s novel Containerized Medical Solutions (CMS) are medical isolation rooms made from prefabricated ISO containers such as PODS. Designed to handle the surge and overflow of COVID-19 patients, these airborne disease isolation units are quickly set up in an existing space (e.g., a warehouse or sporting facility), with no need for structural engineering or design services. In addition, CMS feature several crucial elements for medical providers: negative pressure, direct line-of-sight visibility, excellent filtration, easily cleaned surfaces, and emergency power backup. What’s more, because CMS contain airborne diseases, medical providers do not have to wear full PPE outside of the units.
Because CMS are made from locally sourced materials, the units are inexpensive and can be mass produced throughout the U.S. and across the world. Furthermore, CMS can be fabricated, used, disinfected, and stored for future use. In short, CMS provide rapid, low-cost, efficient, and effective infectious disease isolation units as alternative care facilities (ACFs).
- Rapid deployment: Can be quickly obtained and constructed (<24 hrs.) with no special skills
- Low-cost: Containers, or PODS, are locally sourced and easily mass-produced
- Proven: Currently deployed as hospital rooms at multiple COVID-19 overflow facilities
- Effective: A HEPA filter coupled to an exhaust fan produces >12 air exchanges per hour to hygienically combat airborne diseases
- Safe: Allows line-of-sight monitoring by medical staff and complies with ADA & OSHA safety codes
- Airborne infectious disease treatments (e.g., for COVID-19)
- Hospitals (e.g., alternative care facilities, isolation units, ICUs)
- Disaster relief
- Military (e.g., bases, medical units)